The Minister for Health has repeatedly stated that he will be making an announcement pre-Christmas regarding multi-annual funding for General Practice. He has already stated that there will no no new GP Contract negotiated, but will be introducing new services to be delivered by General Practice over the next four years. This is building on a foundation that is already subsiding. As a Doctor and a member of the NAGP you need to have your voice heard – this is your future.
As you are acutely aware General Practice is on its knees, we have listened to political rhetoric time and time again. The trust between the Department of Health and General Practice is at an all time low as promise after promise is broken and your patients continue to suffer.
In a country where GPs are unable to take on new patients, surgeries are at maximum capacity and numerous rural practices are without a Doctor, General Practice is now beyond crisis.
We fear more communities are in danger of losing their family doctor as General Practice has become unsustainable. Patients are left with no alternative but to present at Emergency Departments further putting pressure on the secondary care system, perhaps laying on a trolley for several days. We need to stop this from happening.
The Minister needs to resource General Practice in order to deliver quality health care in a timely manner that Irish patients deserve.
- Former HSE Director General, Tony O’Brien will present on the importance of transforming our health service into a GP-led primary care system.
- Public Affairs Consultant Frank Flannery will also attend a number of meetings, and will speak on “Behind the scenes in Government”.
- Consultant Neurosurgeon Mr. Zulfiqar Ali of the Galway Clinic and the Hermitage Medical Clinic. Mr. Ali will focus on developments in the treatment of neuropathic back pain.
The National GP Consultation Meetings will be held on:
- Wed 9th Jan at 7.30pm at the D Hotel, Drogheda
- Thurs 10th Jan at 7.30pm at the Hodson Bay Hotel, Athlone
- Sat 12th Jan at 2pm at the Hermitage Clinic, Dublin
- Wed 16th Jan at 7.30pm at Clayton Whites Hotel, Wexford
- Thurs 17th Jan at 7.30pm at the Newpark Hotel, Kilkenny
- Wed 23rd Jan at 7.30pm at the Osprey Hotel, Kildare
- Thurs 24th Jan at 7.30pm at the Midlands Park, Portlaoise
- Sat 26th at 2pm at the Clayton Hotel, Galway
- Wed 30th Jan at 7.30pm at the Clayton Hotel, Limerick
- Sat 2nd Feb at 2pm at the Radisson Hotel, Cork.
To register for your local meeting, please click HERE
We urge you to attend your local meeting, and bring a colleague who might be interested in joining the NAGP. We need to unite general practice.
We have seen first hand, how together we can force State Departments to engage with General Practice through the DEASP fiasco. We need to continue our united front with the Department of Health and the Minister.
As always, the team are available on 01-2546199 if you have any queries or need help on any other matter.